Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our full disclaimer to learn more.
Let’s be totally truthful here. Planning a wedding is a big deal with tons of details large and tiny that all need attention such as THE perfect dress, the bridesmaid ensembles, the menu and desserts, the invitations, the seating arrangements, the crazy sky-high costs, the limos, the flowers, the colors, oh my!
Saying “I do” can be a bit overwhelming, and some couples would prefer more modern-day weddings like maybe getting married outdoors with the beautiful backdrop of nature and simplicity without a church and pews and archaic tradition.
It’s called eloping and running away to get hitched in private. Elopements are on the rise, especially out here in beautiful Las Vegas, the world’s desert playground.
Here are our 21 Reasons Why Everyone On The Planet Should Consider Eloping:
1. It’s Super Easy. That’s right. You make the rules for your wedding day. It could be super intimate with just the two of you in the middle of the stunning Sahara Desert at sundown. If you desire a few guests, that’s up to you. You’re in charge and can call the shots. Sometimes, minimalism is all you need for saying “I do.”
2. There’s No Pressure From Family. Most of our relatives mean well, but often, these family members expect a certain day of tradition the way they walked down the aisle. They demand you follow suit, and head to the church on time. Not all couples want their family breathing down their necks. When you elope, you can avoid the hassles and drama.
3. It’s Amazingly Affordable. Sure, a lavish ceremony can be awesome, but it also results in major bills like thousands and thousands of dollars. Research shows that the five most expensive components of your nuptials make up almost 90 percent of your total costs.
These would include the ring, reception venue, reception band, photographer and ceremony site.
If you run away to marry in Vegas, it’s a heck of a lot cheaper, and you can still create a beautiful day with those kinds of components.
4. It’s Intimate And About You And Me. You get to place the focus directly and only on the both of you. The vows you create take on an extra, deeper meaning, and the connection can be quite special between a couple in love who wanted to make it official.
5. We’ve Been Together For A Long Time. You share a history and much time together. Maybe you don’t feel the need for big weddings, large guest lists and duplicate toaster ovens you may receive. Not every long-time couple sees the need to take the traditional route.
6. We’re A Bit Older–No Fantasy For A Big Traditional Wedding. A more mature couple sees life differently and may desire a quiet approach to their walk down the aisle. All they need is each other and a simple way to make it known.
7. We Prefer Being Adventurous. Running away to a secret location and planning a ceremony with elegant desert flowers, a pair of jeans, the marriage license, a bottle of champagne, fabulous photographer and officiant are really all some couples need. It’s fun, different and so untraditional.
8. We’ll Throw A Kick-A** Party Later. Maybe you’re saving up some cash for a wild post-nuptials event that you can share with your family and friends. You’re keeping the “I dos” intimate, a surprise and will show off your amazing photos at the post-party.
9. We Don’t Desire A Long Engagement. Some modern couples don’t believe in the continuous engagement. Heck, let’s get this show on the road. We have a reason now, to do this!
10. We Don’t Fancy A Bridal Party. Yeah, we get it. Some women like the idea of 10 bridesmaids and 10 groomsmen trailing behind, but that’s not who we are. We would like a lighter ceremony, fewer people and avoid the bridal party scenario, not that there’s anything wrong with that.
11. We Decided To Do It At A Place We Love. Every couple has a favorite destination to visit, and maybe yours is in the desert backdrop where nature and devotion become one. Wherever love leads you, you know you can truly make it official there.
12. We Can Skip The Traditional Wedding Favors. Some guests expect a sentimental, totally creative, little gift as they depart from your ceremony. Who has time to spend finding the ultimate favors, right? They’ll probably just end up gathering dust.
13. We Don’t Desire The Spotlight. Hey, it’s all about our commitment to each other. We don’t have to have the big, white wedding with “all eyes on us.” Yikes, it gives you both crazy anxiety just thinking about it.
14. We’re Avoiding Religious/Cultural Clashes. We may choose to get away from any possible family pressures or expectations. Or we may opt for a non-religious reason to elope. It’s our business. We don’t have to answer to anyone.
15. We Know No Boundaries. If we plan to get hitched from the top of a sandstone cliff with our dog Bella standing as our witness, then we will. For today’s contemporary couples, the entire event is uber-personal from start to finish. It doesn’t have to be crafted around traditional-type nuptials.
16. We Wish For Zen-like Matrimony. Stress is one of the worst factors that can sneak into the nuptials planning phase. That is why many couples are looking for a simpler way to walk down the aisle. Calm, cool and collected, and “I do” is fine by lots of couples.
17. We’re Busy Strengthening Our Relationship. Some couples believe that the big, white ceremony is unnecessary and even wasteful. There are those in love who would rather spend their precious moments in character development and would rather say “I do” on the spur of the moment.
18. It’s The Ultimate Freedom. Secret, quiet, wedded bliss can be created on a rooftop, mountaintop, among the cacti or just where you want to be. You don’t have to copy anyone else. Having that freedom makes the journey that much sweeter.
19. Celebrity Couples Do It. It’s not always about financial concerns. Running away for secret wedded bliss is done by a lot of celebrities. Some include Sophie Turner/Joe Jonas, Amanda Seyfried/Thomas Sadowski, Chrissy Teigen/John Legend, Keira Knightley/ James Righton and Kristen Bell/Dax Shepard.
20. It’s Rustically Romantic. Imagine an elopement-friendly ceremony in the middle of nature surrounded by serene beauty, and you’re standing with the one you’re head-over-heels for and promising to love and honor one another in your special way. It’s an emotional experience like no other.
21. It’s Kind Of Sexy. Running away to make it official is dreamy and sensual. That’s what true elopement is all about. You can have all the diamonds in the world, but the way you say “I do” says it all.
If you’re a couple considering elopement, you’re not alone. You can still put a diamond ring on it. We’re professionals in the game of love and can help you put it all together.
Take this 30-minute micro wedding planning mini-course and say goodbye to planning overwhelm.